Thursday, January 16, 2014

Attack Parrot





There is a semi-domesticated Macaw parrot that hangs out around the lodge.  I was going back to my bungalow and he was sitting on the rail on the deck in front of my door.  He spread his wings and actually said "Hello."  I replied "Hello," and we went back and forth with this one word exchange for a few minutes while I took pictures.  I went in my room to get him a few cashews and a piece of bread, which he appreciated.  I went back in to get my laptop and closed the door, but did not latch it.  When I turned around, he was walking right behind me in my room.  He has a very big beak and he was eyeing my toes. 
I was wearing shorts and sandals.  I yelled "get out," but that did not appear to be in his vocabulary and I did not know how to say it in Portuguese.  He kept coming towards me and I was certain that I was about to have another toe operation.  My back was against the wall and not having a broom to defend myself,  I gave him a quick, but soft, kick towards the door.  He walked out, turned around and looked at me with face that said, "You didn't have to kick me."  He waddled off with his left wing hanging down and I was afraid I might have hurt him.  I was just thinking how many thousands I would be fined for injuring a Brazilan Macaw, when he jumped in the air and flew off.  The next morning he was back in the reception area squawking "hello," but I think he remembered our encounter because he refused to look at my feet.  I thought that was the end of the story, but later that morning I returned to my bungalow and he was sitting on the rail in front of my door.  When I started up the steps to the door, he opened his wings and gave me an evil eye.  It was obvious he was not going to let me in my room without a fight.  The maid was cleaning the adjacent room and eventually came to my rescue and scooped the parrot up in a bath towel.  I went into my room and shaved and when I opened the door, there he was, blocking my exit.  I tried intimidating him by waving my hat, but he was not impressed.  I put on my rain parka and held my arms out to make myself look bigger, but again he was not impressed.  I finally took a large bath towel and held it in front of me like I was going to wrap him in it, and he backed away on the rail. 
I scooted out the door, with my bath towel.  So the moral of the story is that the most dangerous animal in the Amazon (at least at this lodge) is the parrot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment