Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Champagne, champagne!


I flew from Vermont to Paris, France, on December 14th and took the train to Troyes,  that is in the heart of the champagne district.  My friend, Francoise, met me at the train station and we walked about five blocks to her house, which was built in 1898.  Francoise had done a lot of shopping and she spoiled me with excellent French wines, cheese, and her cooking.  On Monday I walked around the old city of Troyes that has many buildings dating back the Roman era.   Monday night I attended a Rotary meeting that was held at a business that provides internet security services.  The meeting opened with a glass of champagne.  It is a tradition in Troyes to have a glass of champagne at the beginning of any meeting or social gathering.  The program was in French, of course, so I did not understand what was said, but the program was illustrated with a power point presentation and I could follow some of that.  Francoise and I finished dinner about 11:30, just in time to go to bed.  I woke up about 5 a.m. on Tuesday, went back to sleep, and did not wake up again until 10:30 a.m.!  I never sleep that late!  Apparently, I have not adjusted to the time change.

On Tuesday I walked around the old city, went to a wine shop where I bought three bottles of good French wine, and unsuccessfully tried to find a bank that would change dollars for euros.  I found a restaurant that has karaoke on Tuesday nights so I made dinner reservations for 8:30.   Francoise had to work until about 8 and when we arrived at the restaurant the karaoke was in full swing.  My first song was the Beatle's standard, "I Want To Hold Your Hand," that got a lot of applause.  My second song was "New York, New York" in the Frank Sinatra version.  Even though my timing was off a little, the crowd loved it.   I was pleasantly surprised when a beautiful French girl came to our table and was gushing over my singing.  I don't think I am that great, but I am getting better, thanks to several months of voice lessons and practice

The French know how to eat and enjoy life.  Breakfast of fresh baked baguettes, lunch of salad and chicken or fish. and dinner at 10 p.m. of soup and salad.  Lunch and dinner may take an hour or two ... or three.

Then there are the meals out.  Thursday we went to Le Sarrail Restaurant in Troyes for a pre-Chrsitmas lunch with friends.  Lunch lasted for three hours.  I started with Terrine de foie de voielle confit (chicken liver pate salad), followed by Pave de saumon juste grille (grilled salmon) and finished with creme brulee.  Of course we first had a glass of champagne, complimented the salmon an excellent Beaujolais, and finally espresso and alcohol de poire william (alcohol seeped with a pear).

The restaurant is owned by two brothers who are friends of Francoise's friends.  Fantastic French food and very nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment